Monday, November 5, 2007

Albums that Changed My Life- by Sam

I wrote this a few months ago, but i think its appropriate to post here. It's still true, after all.

...


Some people do “favorite albums” lists, but I’ve decided to do something a little different. Here’s a list of some of the albums that have made the greatest impact on my life. Whether they taught me something about music, were a personal inspiration, or just signaled an era in my life, these records are the ones I absorbed the most completely. I have tried to order them chronologically:


Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

This is the album that made me want to start playing music. I really responded to the layered sounds, genre experimentation, and cryptic lyrics. Smashing Pumpkins was the first band I ever became obsessed with. I idolized Billy Corgan. Before I could even play guitar, I was writing dozens of songs, mostly to the tune and rhythm of songs from this record.

Nirvana- In Utero

My second obsession, Nirvana… this was (is) my favorite one of their albums. I think Kurt Cobain’s songwriting is at its peak on it, and it has this great mix of rawness and production. Pretty unique. I wrote a lot of music that was inspired by this record, and devoured all things grunge for quite a while.

Queens of the Stone Age- Songs for the Deaf

I got this album while on vacation in Boston. Listened to it a lot on the drive to Cape Cod. It’s straight-up, good, ole’-fashioned rock’n’roll. It has this sexiness and fun to it, but still retains credibility in my mind. Plus it has some amazing, untraditional guitar playing, that I’d like to think informs some of my playing.

Tool- Lateralus

I bought this record on the Fourth of July. This is the CD that showed me what a real album is. It’s such a cohesive piece of art, and really takes advantage of the format. The music is heavy, hypnotic, and inventive, and the lyrics are transcendent. A great example of what a unified idea or sound can be.

A Perfect Circle- Thirteenth Step

This album showed me that even loud, heavy music can be melodic, reserved, and beautiful. This supergroup contains some really musicians, and this album really shows it. The whole thing is about the theme of dependency, and rises and falls through a whole spectrum of emotional and musical peaks and valleys. The atmosphere and quiet parts make the heavy all the more powerful.

Neil Young- After the Goldrush

I had listened to this album a few times, but eventually it became a favorite. It has a really interesting sound, an example of the best of the late 60s/early 70s, and totally unique. Some describe it as raw, but I see it more as shimmering and ethereal. It has some great piano work, and some of Neil’s best songs. Another record that taught me the value of reservation.

Grant Lee Buffalo- Mighty Joe Moon

I first found this CD in my mom’s collection, while looking for David Gray’s “White Ladder.” When I listened to this one, however, I forgot about David Gray. This band sounded unlike anything I had ever heard before. The night I stumbled upon it, I didn’t do any homework, and stayed up till 3 AM doing almost nothing but listening to it. Then I brought it to school the next day and played it on all the computers I was supposed to be working on. This record opened up the wide world of alt-country to me.

Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

When I first listened to this album, I didn’t get it. But I heard such great things about Wilco that I put in it my CD player on repeat until I realized how amazing it was. And then I listened to nothing but Wilco for most of that summer. For those who haven’t heard it, this album is incredible: full of broken pop songs and noise and layers and great songwriting. Opened up so many musical doors and artistic options to me, I cant even begin to name them all.

Sun Kil Moon- Ghosts of the Great Highway

I bought this record basically off of the name of the band and the cover art. I fell in love with it when I first listened to it. It’s full of chiming guitars and gorgeous arrangements, all complimented by Mark Kozelek’s dreamy, soft voice. It borders the line between folk, rock, country, classical, and all sorts of other types of music. Not a single track is a misstep. I think this one gave me some ideas about interesting melodies and lyrical concepts.

The Beatles- Abbey Road

Everybody’s got to include some Beatles in lists like these, and I think their last actual recording affected me the most. This album highlights each member’s unique talents and strengths, and at the same time proves that the band is better than the sum of its parts. The second half is my favorite. I don’t really know if it taught me anything specific, but it continues to be a huge inspiration.

The Band- The Band

This album is simply fantastic. The Band makes music that doesn’t sound like it came from this era—country-rock done right, some of which sounds like it came out of the Civil War. The group was mostly made of Canadians (and one member from Arkansas), but they capture a feeling in the songs on this record that is completely and essentially American. They are filled with dusty tunes and weary characters, archaic themes and interesting instrumentation. This album really goes hand-in-hand with my love of traditional American folk music, and sparked my interest in folky instruments like the accordion and dulcimer.














~SAM


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: